Technology is revolutionizing the foodservice industry, from mobile ordering and delivery apps to tableside ordering. Although some of these new gadgets are passing fads, others are here to stay. Harbortouch, the nation’s leading point of sale (POS) system provider, has compiled five of the best technologies for independent restaurants.
5 Best Tech Solutions for Restaurants
- Tableside Ordering – You may have noticed an increasing number of servers have ditched the pen and pad for electronic tablets. With tableside ordering technology, servers can take a customer’s order electronically and directly transmit it to the kitchen. This enhances accuracy and speed, which is beneficial for employees and diners alike.
- Data Security – A number of serious data breaches have made the headlines recently. But the issue has been of widespread concern since the turn of the century. While you may not have a large budget for security, keep in mind preventing a security breach is typically much less expensive than mitigating a crisis. If customer data is compromised, it could not only cost you to lose patrons, but also result in heavy fines. Remember, all businesses are required to meet Payment Card Industry’s mandatory Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). Ask your POS provider for ways to be PCI compliant and keep you and your customers’ data safe.
- Cloud-based Technology – The cloud is all the rage these days, and for good reason. Cloud-based solutions provide cost-effective, secure data management, as well as the convenience of being able to access your information from anywhere with an Internet connection.
- Mobile Payments – Mobile payments, including Android Pay, Apple Pay, and Google Pay, provide an easy, fast way for customers to pay for their meals. By offering this payment option, you can enhance the customer experience by reducing wait times.
- Leveraging Data – Many POS systems provide ways to gain insight into customer behavior, including what menu items are popular (or not so popular) and what times of day are the busiest. These systems can also provide insight into staff performance, such as what servers are best at upselling, or who’s giving away too many free drinks. Furthermore, POS systems can provide customer loyalty programs, a great way to increase business and profit.
More About Harbortouch
In over 20 years of business, Harbortouch has served more than 300,000 small to mid-size businesses, providing first-class POS software and state-of-the-art POS hardware and earning numerous stellar Harbortouch reviews from satisfied customers. From secure payment processing to cloud-based reporting and management tools, Harbortouch’s model makes its products affordable for any budget. Harbortouch’s ground-breaking free equipment program is frequently featured on the hit TV show Bar Rescue. The program offers merchants custom programming, quality expert installation, and unparalleled customer support.
Technology is revolutionizing the foodservice industry, from mobile ordering and delivery apps to tableside ordering. Although some of these new gadgets may appear “trendy,” others are almost certainly here to stay. We at Harbortouch have compiled five of the best new technologies that can lead to long-term profits for your restaurant.
5 Best Tech Solutions for Restaurants
- Tableside Ordering – Have you noticed more and more servers are carrying electronic tablets instead of a pen and paper? Servers can use these tablets to take customers’ orders and send them directly to the kitchen. Not only do orders reach the kitchen faster, but as a result, but meals are delivered more quickly. Tableside ordering also eliminates paper usage and minimizes the risk of mistakes from kitchen staff trying to decipher handwriting. All of this makes for a better customer experience which, in turn, leads to repeat diners and word-of-mouth references.
- Data Security – Data breaches have been a serious issue since the advent of digital information. Recently, large national companies have had their customer data compromised by hackers and, as a result, incurred mind-boggling fines. Many small business owners, with lots on their plate as it is, don’t pay much mind to data security.
However, it’s essential for shops and restaurants to safeguard customers’ sensitive credit card data. A security breach could cost you your customers’ trust and business. Also, your restaurant, along with every other business, is required to meet Payment Card Industry’s new Data Security Standards known as “version 3.2” that became mandatory on October 31, 2016. One step you can take towards becoming PCI Compliant is to work with your local POS Value Added Reseller, like Harbortouch, to make sure you are using a system that can work with the latest standards for data security. By implementing these standards, you will help to safeguard payment data before, during, and after a purchase. These standards do require time, money and expertise to implement, but the cost of compliance is significantly less than the cost of a data breach.
- Cloud-based Technology – Another restaurant POS trend is the emergence of cloud-based reporting and POS management. Cloud-based solutions are becoming increasingly popular in nearly every industry because they can be accessed from anywhere the Internet is available, across any device (desktop computer, tablet or smartphone). This enables business owners to keep a closer eye on their business, whether they are across the restaurant or across the globe.
- Mobile Payments – Now that many banks issue EMV chip cards, restaurants need new technology to process payments. At the same time, customers want faster and easier ways to pay. That’s why most major players in the mobile device industry have delivered versions of the “mobile wallet” incorporating NFC technology (i.e., Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay). Mobile wallet payments are faster than using either EMV or traditional swipe credit cards and offering them can improve customer service and satisfaction.
- Leveraging Data – Improve customer experience by learning more about your guests. Checking guest analytics and other data gathered by your POS system are key, but your business may also have access to data from other sources, such as payroll services or a customer loyalty program. If you’re not using all these different data points, you’re missing out on important information that should be guiding your decision-making. Many restaurant technology specialists recommend implementing a real-time “Big Data” service that gathers actionable data from a variety of sources and delivers it—in real-time—to restaurant managers’ smartphones. For example, you can identify staff who attempt to process a suspicious number of voids on cash transactions, preventing theft and increasing profits. Even the smallest restaurants can profit from real-time data collection.
More About Harbortouch
In over twenty years of business, Harbortouch has served more than 300,000 small to mid-size businesses, providing first-class POS software and state-of-the-art POS hardware and earning numerous stellar Harbortouch reviews from satisfied customers. From secure payment processing to cloud-based reporting and management tools, Harbortouch’s model makes its products affordable for any budget. Harbortouch’s ground-breaking free equipment program was featured on the hit TV show Bar Rescue. The program offers merchants custom programming, quality expert installation, and unparalleled customer support.
Harbortouch, a leading national provider of Point of Sale (POS) and payment processing systems, in October hosted its annual sales partner conference, Accelerate. Accelerate, “the ultimate business growth event” for business and tech leaders, took place Oct. 8-10 in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Harbortouch representatives said the event was a tremendous success, providing valuable education, resources, and networking opportunities for attendees.
Accelerate is designed to propel business’ success via workshops, speaker presentations, networking, and more. The conference kicked off with a welcome reception at which attendees from around the nation mingled, enjoyed the scenery, nommed on delicious eats, and danced to Fusion, a DJ/hybrid band.
The following day, Harbortouch sales partners split up into various breakout sessions. These sessions, a Harbortouch spokesperson explained, give attendees the opportunity to customize their conference experience by selecting sessions they feel are most valuable to them.
The highlight of the day was Ed Viesturs’ keynote presentation. Viesturs is a high-level mountaineer, the only American, and the fifth person in the world, to successfully summit all 14 of the world’s 8,000-meter peaks without supplemental oxygen. The motivational speaker delivered a powerful, inspirational message which garnered a well-deserved standing ovation.
On Wednesday, Harbortouch hosted a full morning of general sessions, along with an uplifting presentation by CEO Jared Isaacman. Later in the morning, Harbortouch executives discussed current and future initiatives. Then, sales partners networked with various vendor sponsors at the Vendor Show before attendees gathered for a beachside dinner at Wild Thyme Oceanside Eatery.
The next day kicked off with another round of informational sessions focused on various programs and partnerships offered by Harbortouch and associated vendors. Afterward, attendees took part in more breakout sessions. The conference closed with powerful, encouraging final remarks from EVP of Sales and Marketing, Brian Jones. But the cherry on top was a drawing for a BMW and Lexus awarded to two lucky attendees!
Overall, a Harbortouch spokesperson said, Accelerate 2019 was one of the company’s most successful conferences to date.
More About Harbortouch
In over 20 years of business, Harbortouch has served more than 300,000 small to mid-size businesses, providing first-class POS software and state-of-the-art POS hardware and earning thousands of stellar Harbortouch reviews from satisfied customers. From secure payment processing to cloud-based reporting and business management tools, Harbortouch’s model makes its products affordable for any budget. The company’s ground-breaking free equipment program was featured on the hit TV show, Bar Rescue. The program offers merchants custom programming, quality expert installation, and unparalleled customer support.